We would like to offer you our heartfelt congratulations on the election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party.
Jeremy is a conviction politician and a man of principle with whose views we have much in common. We look forward, now, to Labour returning to its roots as a social movement campaigning in the best interests of ordinary people.
It is with that in mind that we would like to suggest that, where we now have agreement, we explore ways of working together on the issues and campaigns affecting the people of Tamworth.
We think these should include:
- opposition to the austerity measures which are fuelling the growth in food banks;
- support for our hospitals in the face of ongoing cuts, ward closures and privatisation of services;
- campaigning for high quality, affordable housing to meet very real local needs.
We would also add, especially given the voting records of local Tory MPs including Christopher Pincher:
- the threat of ‘fracking’ in the County
- the need to defend the legislation outlawing fox-hunting which was brought in by a previous Labour government.
So, whilst we will continue to maintain our independence, particularly at the ballot box, we do wish Jeremy all the very best and look forward to a fruitful collaboration with his colleagues locally.
Tamworth Green Party